Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Together

Together by pdecell
Together, a photo by pdecell on Flickr.
Got these wasps on golden rod this weekend. I have seen these around but this is the first clear shot them mating that I have been able to get. They will stay coupled for quite some time and fly from flower to flower while mating. Originally I thought these were Ichneumonids but are Sphecids. Tip O' the Antennae to James Trager for correcting this.
11/23/2011
Update! Got an ID from Bugguide as Eremnophila aureonotata. What is it about having a name that is so important for us? Granted the comunication function, but there is that sense of the name giving us control over something or at least a sense of control. But people do confuse naming with explaining.

2 comments:

James C. Trager said...

Ahem! Those are sphecids.

Paul D. said...

Wow James T! Thanks for the correction. I had a actually sent a request off for an ID and never got a response back. So now I know I was way off!