Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Secular poem

The garden in June is falling over
Itself in green, first flush of blooms deadheaded.
Vinca, leathered hand, the lily smothers.
Daisy flea bane riots among peonies spent.
Sphingid larvae frass honeysuckle leaves,
While gold ants slurp juices from a worm dead
On the brick path where sedums overflow.
Wasps hunt prey and drink flower whoopie
And along the border sweat bees work the lilies
For nectar, pollen sticking to hummers
Who flee my leisured steps like Disney pixies.
I walk along the garden's edge and stoop
To see another small and unexpected thing
In my late spring garden birthing summer.





Comment: this is kind of a sonnet though in free rhyme. The thought that started the poem is that there is so much to do in the garden what with all the rain we have here in Kansas. But really a lot the garden does for itself though we don't always like the results. The larva pictured is really feeding on honeysuckle and at first I didn't make the connection between the larvae and the adult moth shown here also photographed in my garden.

Hemaris

The word "frass" is usually a noun meaning debris and excrement left by insects. Normally I don't like the tendency to turn nouns into verbs but sometimes it works for me. The word is probably related to the German verb fressen-to feed. Animals fressen, people essen as I recall from my German. Of course my wife thinks I fressen way too often.

There is also a related word in terms of meaning-"orts" scraps of food left over from insect feeding. So in ecology and entomology we often talk about "frass and orts".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never read a sonnet about a worm before this. Yours is very visual and excellently written. It was a treat to read this along with the commentary.

Thanks!

clouds percolate from the sun

anthonynorth said...

Excellently done. We look out into the garden and see peace and quiet. Yet there's a thriving world out there.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really like this and the picture and the explanation.

Lucy said...

I associate this sticky fetid feeling with later in the summer where we are. It's a really vivid poem, and your photos are stunning too.

Rob Kistner said...

"gold ants slurp juices from a worm dead"

MMMMMMM delicious!

So was the verse... ;)

Paul D. said...

rob,

I actually have a photo of the ants slurping the juice at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdecell/2579709242/

Stan Ski said...

I really need to take a closer look around me and bring my landscape to life as this piece does.

Anonymous said...

intriguing... as a gardener i am out every day viewing the world of plants in my garden.. i will look even closer to the leaves to see what lurks here and there... thoroughly enjoyed your post and explanation... everything is green and growing here in the inland northwest... everyday, there is a new bloom..it is hard to consider the leftovers of insects, but i shall try...