Monday, January 21, 2008

Full Moon

Somnolescent, you beside me it seem
A spot of light fingers your sleeping form
Which leaves me just a moment of unwarm
Till captured in a spell of lucid dream
Where nothing astounds me about that stream
Of light angelic and well by you born
And me from this time never to be torn.
But I awake surprised by that bright gleam,
As I watch you, light spilling on your breast.
I know you will soon stir from your visions,
Those darkling dreams that share your sleeping room.
So I turn around to face my lucent guest
Whose lupine light streams with such precision
And with such milk moon glow, my love illume.


This is supposed to be a sonnet and though I have never written a sonnet before, decided that this week's Totally Optional Prompt to write a sonnet looked like a good chance to stretch myself a bit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

some great words in there. very illuminating!

love in a sonnet

Tumblewords: said...

I, too, wrote my first sonnet for this week's TOP. I like your style, it sounds formal and yet personal.

paisley said...

and i tried desperately to resuurect one that never really was one at all!!!! we poets are an odd lot.....

you did a really good job tho...

i found this form difficult... or maybe i just made it difficult

Andy Sewina said...

Yeah, I like this!

Pauline said...

great line, this: Those darkling dreams that share your sleeping room

Paul D. said...

Thanks,

And Paula I don't think I would have come up with that phrase except having to fit the constraints of the form while trying to avoid sounding contrived forced me to express the idea in a very concise way.

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

Paul-- that's one of the things I love about formal poetry. Hope you enjoy TOP with us.