Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Rachel Carson: Voices from the Margins...

The University of Kansas is holding a special event examining the controversy surrounding Rachel Carson, called Voices from the Margins. This will be June 7 at 6:30 pm at the Spencer Museum of Art.

"Please join us for an exploration of the change and controversy ignited by biologist Rachel Carson (1907-1964), author of Silent Spring (1962). The film, Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, originally broadcast as part of the award-winning PBS history series “American Experience,” chronicles reactions to Carson’s views and efforts to discredit her work."

I will be covering this since I have a special interest in Rachel Carson.

Update: Here's another Rachel Carson post on her upcoming 100th birthday. (Tip of the antennae to Rebecca over at Pocahontis County Fare for this post.)

1 comment:

Rebecca Clayton said...

Thanks for the link to your previous post about Rachel Carson. I've only been following your blog a few months, but I see I will be reading some "back issues" soon.

I hadn't realized people were Carson-bashing again, or that they had "forgotten" about the DDT-resistance issue. I feel sure there would have been no DDT ban had DDT not lost much of its efficacy, especially for dipterans.

By chance, I also posted about Rachel Carson today.