Thursday, July 27, 2006

And Shame from My Home State

Sigh,

Intimidation is wrong all the way around folks. See my earlier post on Kansas. From Provincetown MA in my home state comes this unfortunate set of incidents. Again just because someone disagrees with you in this case on the issue of gay marriage, that's no reason to do some of the things described in this article.

What I find most interesting is what the article reports from the Pastor of the local Catholic Church:

Dahl said he is offended that some proponents of same-sex marriage have equated the opposing view with bigotry. "I'll take ownership of being a Catholic and being a signer of the petition, but I won't take ownership of being a bigot"

I know myself, as a pro gay marriage Catholic, that people of good conscience can disagree here, but that doesn't automatically make them a bigot or for that matter homophobic. Both these terms in my opinion are way over used.

Technorati Tags:



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gay "marriage" is no more marriage than "intelligent design" is science.

You can call it whatever you want, but what it involves is swithing definitions to suit your arguments.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I know you have to appove all comments.

Like a true liberal.

Paul D. said...

Well notice I approved yours. My aprroval requirement is meant at keeping spam and profanity out of the discourse so don't whine.

As for intelligent design yup that is not science. On the marriage issue, there is first of all the religious issue and any church including my own has the right to restrict this aspect of marriage as sacramental.

Any two people who love each other in the same way that we think of in marriage ought to be able to have the same sorts of legal rights and I and obligations traditional marriages convey. Part of the marriage bond in civil society are exactly those rights and obligations to each other as a couple.

Whether you call that sort of arrangement marriage or what, the willingness of taking on of these sorts of rights and obligations is part of a loving committment.

Call it civil union or whatever, fine, but I believe that the anti gay marriage amendments are designed less to protect traditional marriage but rather to force gays deep back into the closet.

Strong marriages and strong committment in general are important glue for our society, but I would rather encourage the long term committment of one gay couple than 50 loveless heterosexual marriages.

Cheers!