Monday, March 06, 2006

A pop music digression

If you are wondering science and poetry consider this wonderful post from Sandra Porter's Blog: Discovering Biology in a Digital World. Her post is about how plants somehow detect volatile organic compounds given off by other plants when the latter are attacked by insects. The listening plants get advanced warning and mobilize their defenses. But what I really love is the title of the post:

"I hear the cottonwoods whispering above"

Naturally this got my interest

This the first line of a song Tammy sung by Debbie Reynolds in 1957 in the movie "Tammy and the Bachelor"; the lyrics are here and here.

"I hear the cottonwoods whispering above
Tammy! Tammy! Tammy's in love!

The ole hootie owl hootie-hoo's to the dove
Tammy! Tammy! Tammy's in love!

Does my darling feel
What I feel
When he comes near?
My heart beats so joyfully
You'd think that he could hear!"

Wonderful!

The song appears to be widely recorded but I have never heard it.

As an aside the song was composed by Jay Livingston & Ray Evans who wrote many well known standards including:

Mona Lisa and Silver Bells and
Que SerĂ¡, SerĂ¡. Now those I have heard. Unfortunately most people today may be more familiar with one of their least inspiring efforts, the theme song from the 1960's TV series, Mr. Ed.

Other links:

http://www.lucyfan.com/jaylivingston.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/ray-evans

1 comment:

Sandra Porter said...

Hi Paul,

Tammy was a TV series, too. : )

Discovering Biology in a Digital World