Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Professor beat.

I am sure everyone knows about this incident involving Professor Mirecki.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/dec/06/mirecki_treated_after_roadside_beating/?ku_news

Of course everyone is taking sides about what is going on here. Note John Altevogt claiming he doesn't know any one who would beat Professor Mirecki for his comments.. But then he goes on to allegedly say:

“He (Mirecki) has very little credibility left,” Altevogt said. “The one thing that could save his bacon is to become a martyr of sorts, or to elicit sympathy from being the victim rather than the persecutor.”

To which I respond with a couple of aphorisms. One just coined today, though probably not original with me and the other is my take on the maxim about early birds and worms:

"He who points fingers often loses them."

"The early worm gets eaten."

I guess I spent too much time reading that Ben Franklin biography. See http://theforcethat.blogspot.com/2005/12/source-of-aphorism-about-offense-and.html

1 comment:

Paul D. said...

Yes,

If my experience is any indication, being told you are going to Hell because you don't believe exactly the way certain types of Christians think you ought to believe tends to turn scientists away from organized religion.

I thnk there is a certain communal aspect to organized religion as expressed in Liturgy that is important but sometimes it seems that

***WARNING aphorism ahead**

"Organized religion is one more way humans can be hypocritical to each other."

**aphorism warning off**